ProductsDesktop Server Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform For IBM POWER For IBM System z For SAP Business Applications Red Hat Satellite Management For Scientific ComputingExtended Update Support High Availability High Performance Network Load Balancer Resilient Storage Scalable File System Smart Management Extended Lifecycle SupportAccelerate Automate Integrate Red Hat JBoss Developer Studio Portfolio Edition Web Framework Kit Application Platform Web Server Data Grid Portal Fuse Red Hat JBoss A-MQ SOA Platform BRMS Data Services Platform JBoss Operations Network JBoss Community or JBoss enterprise
SolutionsWhy Red Hat Why open hybrid cloud? The new IT Public cloud Cloud resource library Private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) Cloud applications and workloadsSolaris to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration overview Migrate from your UNIX platform How to migrate to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Upgrade to the latest Red Hat Enterprise Linux release JBoss Enterprise Middleware Benefits of migrating to Red Hat Enterprise Linux Migration services Start a conversation with Red Hat
TrainingClassroom training Red Hat Online Learning Virtual training Remote classroom training On-site team training Online Learning LabsPopular and new courses Red Hat JBoss Administration curriculum Core System Administration curriculum Red Hat JBoss Middleware Development curriculum Advanced System Administration curriculum Linux Development curriculum Cloud Computing, Virtualization, and Storage curriculum
ConsultingSOA and integration Business process management Cloud and Virtualization Custom Software Development Enterprise Data and Storage Systems management Migrations
Celebrate Document Freedom Day!
March 31, 2010
by Corporate Affairs Team
Today marks the annual observance of Document Freedom Day (DFD), a global day for document liberation. Red Hat is proud to support this grassroots effort to educate the public about the importance of Open Document Formats and Open Standards. Fostering open standards and encouraging innovation support Red Hat’s core values.
Watch this video to learn more about the importance of open standards. View more Red Hat Stories here.
Check out some of the conversations started on Opensource.com surrounding DFD:
- Read an introduction to DFD on the Life Channel.
- A post on the Government Channel recaps ideas from the Document Freedom Day website on how the average person can support open document formats.
- Former Open Document Format Alliance leader Marino Marcich shares reasons why the public sector has increasingly opted for ODF, the document freedom that it enables and why ODF is an essential feature of any “open” eGovernment strategy. Read Marino’s post here.
- Chander Kant, CEO of Zmanda, discusses why open formats are essential for sharing and preserving government data and some of the recent strides governments worldwide have taken to improve the accessibility of public information.
- Karsten Gerloff of Free Software Foundation Europe, the organizers of DFD, talks about current open standards issues in Europe.
Want to get involved in a local DFD event? Learn more here.