Re: More on the GUI (post FUDCon)

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 11:35 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Joel Granados wrote:

5. Use Gig for the sizes.  I had missed this in previous posts.  But it
be a good idea to have the size in Gb after 999 Mb.  We can have a
function that returns the show-able string.

I think something along the lines of what you get from 'ls -h' or 'df -h'
would be better.  We don't want to show GB for the /boot volume, for example.
And some people may just really want to use MB.

Could we give users the option to select a display unit and perhaps by default
do something similar to 'ls -h'/'df -h'.  I like the two or three significant
digits approach and scale the units as necessary:

I think having a preference for what units to display in the GUI is
overkill [1]. The idea to display by default in the units that make most
sense for the quantity involved is a great one though, and much better
than displaying everything in GB.

[1] Unless there is a Really Good Use Case for this, that would be
helpful to 90% of users. I can't think of one, but I'm not as
well-versed in this domain and the use cases for it.

I can't think of a reason to expose this as a choice either even though I
brought it up, though I'm sure that won't stop people from asking.

If we sanitize the units we display, that would be the best I think.

Oh, and I should have mentioned 'ls -lh', not 'ls -h'.

- -- David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)