Re: No root user

Martin Gracik <mgracik redhat com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 11:31 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Martin Gracik (mgracik redhat com) said:
> > > So, where are we standing on the "no root user" issue? If I remember
> > > correctly the last discussion didn't end with a Yes or No answer.
> >
> > Obviously whatever we do here may require anaconda/firstboot changes, but
> > is this really an anaconda discussion?
> >
> > Bill
>
> Yes, it's an anaconda and firstboot discussion, because I would be very
> happy if I could move the create user part from firstboot to anaconda.

I'm not in favor of that because the add user screen used to be in
anaconda before moving over to firstboot.  The decision there was based on
what steps were actually critical to installation and which were doable
after the system was installed.  Adding users was clearly something that
was not critical to installation.

I see no problem with removing the root password screen from the
interactive installation but leaving it in kickstart.  I think that would
still retain the flexibility for users during installation but further
simplify the interactive installer.

Firstboot's add user step should require either setting the root password
or adding at least one user.  If the latter, the user added should have
sudo enabled for the account.  If a root password is set, the sudo part
should be optional.  This all sounds similar to what was discussed before.

If we can come to an agreement, I say we propose it as an F-16 feature and
take the discussion there.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell redhat com>
Supervisor, Installer Engineering Team