Unable to discover isw raid with 1.0.0-rc3

Jane Liu janliu at nvidia.com
Wed Aug 18 21:07:49 UTC 2004

Hi,

This is in a way continuation of the discussion at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/ataraid-list/2004-August/msg00013.html.

Just tried version 1.0.0-rc3 on my ICH5-R system, and still couldn't
discover the array. The problem I had with 1.0.0-rc2 turned out to be
caused by bogus disk geometry data ( i guess [heads * sectors *
cylinders] does not necessarily equal the total sector count). I noticed
that in 1.0.0-rc3 the total sector count is not computed from geometry
data but read from sysfs. So now I always end up with a 0 sector count
because I'm not using sysfs. As a result, I get errors seeking to the
superblock offset and couldn't find the metadata.

So is dmraid intended for use with sysfs only now? If not, how can I get
it to obtain the correct sector count when "carrying on with /dev/"? I
mean, should I do something outside of dmraid to achieve this?

For now, I'm getting around this problem by seeking from the end of the
device file to get to the superblock (since I end up with negative
superblock offsets). This is kind of an ugly hack. Alternatively, it is
also possible to get the sector count using the BLKGETSIZE ioctl, which
is what hdparm uses. I don't know enough about this method to advocate
for or against it, but it works on my setup.

Sorry if I'm being over-zealous :-) I need to return the ICH5-R to our
QA team soon, and I really want to get as much testing done as I can.

Here's output from "dmraid -r -vvv" with a couple of added prints:

INFO: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
ERROR: Failed to find sysfs mount point
carrying on with /dev/
INFO: /dev/sdb: hpt37x discovering
INFO: /dev/sdb: hpt45x discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sdb" at offset -5632
INFO: /dev/sdb: isw    discovering
isw_sboffset is: 0
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sdb" at offset -1024
ERROR: isw: failed reading first sector of ISW superblock for /dev/sdb
INFO: /dev/sdb: lsi    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sdb" at offset -512
INFO: /dev/sdb: pdc    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sdb" at offset -32256
INFO: /dev/sdb: sil    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sdb" at offset -512
INFO: /dev/sda: hpt37x discovering
INFO: /dev/sda: hpt45x discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sda" at offset -5632
INFO: /dev/sda: isw    discovering
isw_sboffset is: 0
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sda" at offset -1024
ERROR: isw: failed reading first sector of ISW superblock for /dev/sda
INFO: /dev/sda: lsi    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sda" at offset -512
INFO: /dev/sda: pdc    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sda" at offset -32256
INFO: /dev/sda: sil    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/sda" at offset -512
INFO: /dev/hda: hpt37x discovering
INFO: /dev/hda: hpt45x discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/hda" at offset -5632
INFO: /dev/hda: isw    discovering
isw_sboffset is: 0
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/hda" at offset -1024
ERROR: isw: failed reading first sector of ISW superblock for /dev/hda
INFO: /dev/hda: lsi    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/hda" at offset -512
INFO: /dev/hda: pdc    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/hda" at offset -32256
INFO: /dev/hda: sil    discovering
ERROR: failed seeking device "/dev/hda" at offset -512
No Software RAID disks

Cheers,
Jane