What's that of lilo, booting and all so??

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Thu Nov 11 07:57:48 UTC 2004

Hi,

> I've been reading the mails on the list, and I've heared something about
> a lilo path for raid. What does this mean?. Can we boot from an ataraid
> device?. I mean: I've got a Promise raid PDC20265 controller, and I have
> to work with a 2.4.25 kernel because I thougth it was impossible to boot
> from a 2.6.x kernel. Is it really impossible?. Could that lilo path help
> me?. Anyway, my devices are in /dev/ataraid/ working properly, booting
> properly and everything properly but... with a 2.4 kernel.
>
> Many time ago, someone told me (thank you again) that the initrd hadn't
> been patched yet, so that it was impossible to boot from an ataraid
> device. Is that still true?. Is there ANYWAY to boot from a 2.6.x kernel
> with an ataraid device?. (I mean, if I have to dance a zulu dance for
> making my system bootable with a 2.6, I will dance it :) )

Yup, it's definitely possible with Fedora Core 3.  It contains the
necessary kernel patches and the dmraid binary.  All you need to add to
FC3 is:
- patch mkinitrd to include a static dmraid binary in initrd and run it
- patch rc.sysinit to run static dmraid to setup the mapper devices
- add /sbin/dmraid.static to your system
- build lilo with Gerte's patch
http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/lilo-22.6-dmraid.patch

I can boot FC3 with my Sil3112 ATA Raid, and run lilo when it's running ;)

Kind regards,

Mark Wormgoor
* |\    /|      |  /|  /       Mark Wormgoor                  *
* | \  / |      | / | /        mailto:mark at wormgoor.com       *
* |  \/  |ark   |/  |/ormgoor  http://www.wormgoor.com/mark/  *