Re: Took the plunge and went SCSI the Cabriolet

On 13-Aug-98 Keith Baker wrote:
> How does linux handle multi-controller environments?  Can you mount the
> same partition on two machines?  Are there any advantages?  Whats the
> deal?

I'm using two controllers, a 53c860 and a 53c875 with no trouble at all. I just
installed the second controller and things worked perfectly. You might have to
mess with passing parameters via MILO if you use ISA cards, but PCI works great.

As for mounting the same partition on two machines, I'm not quite sure what you
mean. I have seen systems (not Linux) where two controllers on two different
machines were both connected to the same scsi buss and shared the drives but
they were set up so that both machines would not address a given device at the
same time. I would not advise doing this however.

Couldn't you just use NFS to mount a partition on a second machine?

---
Brian E.W. Wood  beww@intac.com