Re: TAR on large file systems (gt 2GB)

Wes Bauske wrote:

> I've tried it several times now and it
> always hangs. I moved some stuff out of the file system
> to get it below 2GB and it works. This leads me to believe
> there is some sort of limit in tar.

Tar probably considers its output always as a (seekable)
file.  There is currently a limit of 2 GB on a file
unless you are using one of the latest development kernels
on Alpha or Sparc.

> Is there another command to use instead of tar??

What about cpio, afio and dump?  I have no idea if they
have a similar limit and also I am only guessing why you
may have problems.  It may be a VFS limitation.  Does anybody
know for sure?

  Michal