Re: problem connecting to other hosts

At 03:55 PM 2/6/99 -0500, you wrote:

>been using kernel 2.1.131 for several weeks now without any problems but
>today I noticed that I've lost the ability to log onto other machines.
>I'm able to connect but never get the login prompt.  Any ideas?

Are you having a message like:
"Unable to connect to remote host: Resource temporarily unavailable"
or
"rcmd: socket: Permission denied"

You may want to cat /proc/slabinfo and look at "tcp_bind_bucket" if it
looks large, something like:

kmem_cache            27     42
tcp_tw_bucket          0     63
tcp_bind_bucket     3992   4064

You may have the odd leak that has been in the <2.2.2 kernels.  When I
upgraded to the pre2.2.2 kernel the problem went away.

Good luck

-Barrett

--
Barrett G. Lyon                        PGP: www.netpr.com/pgpkeys
Data & Network Security Consultant     Fax: 310-737-0196