Re: scsi termination message

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:

> Hallo !
>
> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Heinz Ulrich Stille wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:37:29 +0100
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> > >I get this when I boot my AlphaPC164LX:
> > >
> > >kernel: (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 5/0
> > >kernel: (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
> > >kernel: (scsi0) Warning - detected auto-termination
> > [...]
> >
> > >Now, it never prompts me, and ctrl-a doesn't seem to do anything.
> > >I'm guessing that only works on an x86?  In any case,
> >
> > The <ctrl-A> is in the bios initialisation on intels. OTOH the alpha bios
> > does contain an intel emulator for firing up VGA cards. I don't know why
> > this does not also run the scsi controller's bios.

> On my LX system I am able to use the Bios (I get prompted right after the
> VGA card gets initialized). I have not tried however to change much.
>
> I do get the same warning message from Milo and the Kernel but everything
> seems to run stable (though I do not copy large chunks of data and only
> have one HD and a Plextor CD-ROM).

I think the Linux developers were paranoid that the card might not find
everything.

AlphaBIOS has an option to let the system emulate the SCSI bios's so that
you can change to a fixed termination setting.  It is a bit hidden, I
think it is an extended configuration option.  If any of you are using
AlphaBIOS and can't find this little switch, email me personally.  The
system is at home.

If you are emulating the SCSI BIOS, then on boot-up you should get a
message 'press <esc> to skip SCSI BIOS emulation', then the bios gives the
<ctrl-a> to change configuration, and seek all the drives.  otherwise, the
screen just flashes to AlphaBios startup

JRDM