Re: disk partitioning

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Dwight Doty wrote:

> Can anyone help me better understand Linux disk partitioning
> requirements, assuming a Red Hat install on a XP1000.
>
> 1) In order to boot from the system disk, unallocated(unpartitioned)
> space for the boot loader is required in the first ?? MB of the disk.
> Where can I find out more about what the space requirements and options
> available for aboot? (ftp://ftp.azstarnet.com/pub/linux/axp/aboot
> doesn't seem to exist)

http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/srm.html would be a good start. I think
there might also be a little info about this in the redhat install guide.
(As an aside, most of the stuff from azstarnet now lives at
www.alphalinux.org)

aboot itself comes with the redhat distribution and will be instaled,
however the RH install process will not write aboot to the disk for you.
So after it's installed you'll have to do a:
swriteboot /dev/sda /boot/bootlx -f3

(If I remember it correctly).

> 2) Are there any requirements for disk partition layouts and types
> (assumed in the generic kernel) such as /dev/sda1 must be / and be a
> ext2 type, or /dev/sda2 be swap and be a swap type, /dev/sda3 be
> /usr...?  I would like to configure our XP1000's to have two file
> systems / and swap mounted on two corresponding disk partitions, is this
> possible?

As long as the first parition start on cylinder 2, you'll be all set. The
other can be whatever you'd like.

Good Luck,
--rdp

Rich Payne