Re: Dead jobs

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Wes Bauske wrote:

> This is a point I worry about when I deal with tape drives.
> If you do a kill -9 on a job that is uninterruptable while
> accessing a tape device, it is fairly easy to hang the device
> and make it unusable to any other process.

Yeah, this occasionally happens to me with sound. I have found
that I can often do an rmmod sound and then re-insert it with
insmod sound and then I can use the sound hardware again. If
your tape drive is built as a module you may be able to do
the same thing.

Michael J. Graffam (mgraffam@idsi.net)
"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity.
Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the
guidance of another. . .Sapere aude! Have the courage to use your own
understanding!" - Immanuel Kant "What is Enlightenment?"