about gcc 2.7.2.1

Thank you Richard and Harley.
I changed /usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/Makefile as following instruction.
"old_gas := yes"
But same error occurred in compiling core_tsunami.c
On system gas version is 2.7(alpha-unknown-linux), using BFD version 2.7.0.2
and gcc version is 2.7.2.1
In core_tsunami.c there is macro assembly code using ldbu, ldwu, stb, stw
which are byte and word instruction, in RedHat 5.2 this macro compiled well,
but RedHat 4.2 not. But I should use RedHat 4.2 to compile MILO.
Because there some libraray conflict with Redhat 5.2.

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 03:33:26PM +0900, Hyung Min SEO wrote:
> I've got the mail at 10 March 1999 "subject : gcc on alpha".
> The issue was the error message "Error: macro requires $at register whil
> noat in effect".

The bug is in your binutils.

> ... on Redhat 4.2 ...

Which you cannot upgrade without upgrading your distribution,
or being tricky.  The effort for the later is not worth it.

I'm rather surprised the variable $(old_gas) in arch/alpha/Makefile
isn't `y', which should prevent those instructions from being used.

r~

H.M.Seo
CPU Team
Samsung Electronics