2.2.4 lx164

Downloaded 2.2.4 yesterday and began to look for the howto on compiling the
kernel.  After a few tries I gave up and started working from memory.  At this
point I've used make xconfig to configure the kernel done a "make dep; make
clean; make boot; make modules; make modules_install" , made necessary bios
changes and the kernel can't see the scsi controler.  I have an NCR53C875 and
the config file says

CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx_sync=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx_FAST=y