Re: UP2K and 2.3.xx kernels

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, W Bauske wrote:

> Even at 9MB/sec, that's sufficient for what I want.
> The files will be passed across fast Enet so anything
> close to or faster than 100Bt is fine for what I want.

Good - I'd really like to know if anyone gets any better.

> Flakiness worries me. I've noticed that 2.2.14 with
> IDE-DMA patches does not handle large IDE disk on the
> Promise card correctly. It bails out between 8-9GB on
> my tests with FS corruption. My understanding was the
> 2.3.xx series had better large IDE disk support.

I've not had problems with 2.2.x or 2.3.x with this drive; except for the
fact that there is a known bug in eary 2.3.'s and most 2.2.'s (not sure
when it was fixed) that it couldn't cope with IDE drives over 32GB.
I've not had corruption problems and I've had the drive since June last
year; although I don't run with particularly large partitions.

My gut feeling would be not to use the Promise.

> Given > an Alpha has more interupts than an x86, I'd like to
> put 6-8 large IDE disks on a system for data storage
> using add-on ATA66 cards.

Hmm - mean system!  At work we have an external EIDE RAID box which chucks
SCSI out the back; I don't know the manufacturer, but it takes 6 IDE
drives (we use the IBM 34 GXPs) - standard drives as far as I'm aware.  I
think it was about #4000 UKP when we bought them about 6 months ago.
Might be worth looking to see if any of your suppliers have anything
similar.

Another thing to look at is CPU usage; I don't know how much this would be
different on a nice juicy UP2K, but on my LX:

time dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/null bs=1024k count=100

gives:

0.00user 1.54system 0:08.71elapsed 17%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
0maxresident)k

Another thing to remember is that the data transfer rate can vary
significantly over the surface of the disc.

Dave

--
 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running GNU/Linux on       |  Happy  \