Re: Well supported PCI graphics card for 164SX

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:54:00AM +0200, Danilo Godec wrote:

> As my current graphics card (S3 Virge/DX) is causing some (minor) problems
> (it reboots the machine with XFree4) and as I got a new monitor which
> supports more than the card can deliver, I want to get a new (better) one.
>
> So, which PCI cards are KNOWN to work well with 164SX and XFree4?

I'd recommend one of the PCI flavors of ATI Radeon, from original SDR
to the recent "budget" DDR 7000. They all seem to work fine with the
console BIOS emulation, and XFree86 4.1.0 and later support them for
3D... :-)

> Or, if one has a workaround for using the current card with XFree4, that
> is welcome too... :)

Upgrade.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com