Alpha Core Directions

Arkadiy Chapkis - Arc achapkis at dls.net
Tue Dec 21 15:34:58 UTC 2004

  Hello Mike,

>Hi folks - got a bit of breathing space over the next day or so, and
>thought I'd get some input for the early-next-year planned release of
>Alpha Core 0.92, which should be a pretty major step towards something
>I feel comfortable slapping a "1.0" release number on.

  Definitely a new kernel (2.6.10 or newer) would be a more preferable. That is, of course, if its major goal would be
riddance of bugs. I am hoping that isp1020 driver will include error handler by then.

>It's going to draw quite heavily from the Fedora Core 3 release
>sources, but I really think it needs to be slimmed down quite a bit.
>That's where some input would be welcome.

  Agreed. In my opinion this can be achieved by taking all the "fat" and "unnecessary" packages out and move them into
an "Extras" CD(s). Set of three CDs is more than enough to accomodate basic installation (workstation and/or server)
even with Xorg and 2 Desktop Managers.

>First up - am I correct in thinking that most users/potential users
>would be using this on "hobby" machines? If so, is a focus more on
>"desktop" than "server" functionality appropriate? I'm not talking
>about dropping Apache or Samba or anything - but some of the more
>esoteric stuff could go. Anyone's thoughts on this would be great.

  I'd vote more for a server side.

>Speaking of Fedora Extras - maintaining a "contrib" of other packages
>that we've just got compiled and ready to go would be a really neat
>project for _someone else_ to do. I'd love to get to a state where I
>can look after a tiny core build and someone else tracked updates to
>things in the "neat stuff" category.

  I can do some of it on my PWS500a. Provided I have time.

>Target for 0.92: complete install set on no more than 3 CDs.
>Suggestions on methods for achieving this are welcome.

  DVD installation?

                                      Arc C.
                                      achapkis at dls.net