Alpha Core Directions

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Dec 22 00:26:47 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 18:16, Bob Lindell wrote:
> > The box boots, runs, and even installs Debian.  I have an operational
> > Woody
> > installation: single processor only.  I have four CPU's; I expect to
> > be able
> > to use them. :-)

> I run Woody but substitute the 2.4.18 kernel from the HP RedHat 7.2
> updates.  You could try this for your SMP machine.

I appreciate all the guys who e-mailed suggestions.  What I did do, after
thoroughly searching several lists, is use the Debian kernel-package
utilities, downloading, configuring, and building a vanilla 2.4.28 from
kernel.org.  I installed this kernel (after the long build, of course),
changed /etc/aboot.conf, and rebooted.  From SRM I booted to that kernel, and
it works.  The trick was to build the kernel with Sable only support, not
generic.  So the machine feels much snappier now.  Much.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology