qlogic 1020 and seagate barracuda

VK v123456 at gmx.net
Thu Jun 3 02:38:57 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm having trouble with Seagate Barracuda (ST150176LC) attached to
QLogic SCSI card on Alpha PWS 433. The drive is 80pin attached trough
68-80 adapter. The cable has buit-in terminator. I do not know the exact
model of the scsi card, but it has QLogic ISP1020 on it, 68 pin and 50
pin internal and 68 pin external scsi connectors. It also has some weird
jumpers like that:

          Term   Dis
High    *         *
Low    *         *

I'm unable to find a manual for the card (no wonder, it's manufactured
in 93) so I'm not sure how to set them up properly. I've played with
them though and it does not seem to matter how they set up.

SRM correctly identifies the drive, but hd dkc0 or exer dkc0 produce
'device not ready'. RH 7.2 also identifies the drive correctly, says
'spinning up the drive' and then 'not responding'. The drive spins up as
soon as the power is on though. I've played with SRM variables
pkc0_soft_term (setting to off,on,low,high,diff), pkc0_mode (fast or
ultra) - does not seem to matter.

Win2000 with the same card/drive (on PC though) behaves the same - I see
the drive in the Device Manager, but can't access it in any way.

I've run out of ideas and going to pronounce the drive dead. On the
other hand it's my first SCSI drive and I might have missed something
which is obvious to all the experienced folks out there. So I would
appreciate any help/ideas.

Thanks