Other distros (was RE: Waxing Philosophical)

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 04:23:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:50:22 +1000, Rob B <rbyrnes at mailshack.com> wrote:
> Just to throw my hat in on this .. I actually use FreeBSD on my Alphas now,
> stopped using Linux about three years ago (and to tell the truth, I can't
> recall why I changed).  However, I still remain signed up to all the Linux
> distro mailing lists that support the Alpha arch, mainly because of the
> sense of community that the arch has as a whole.  This thread is an example
> of that :)

I still dabble in NetBSD occasionally. I've got a couple of old
TurboChannel-based Alphas sitting around that get booted up once in a
while.

My first major Alpha project was building an install CD for NetBSD 1.5
or so, with a tweaked kernel that'd boot up with the framebuffer
console enabled. Before that, it was serial console installs on the
DEC 3000, or nothing.

Must get back on to the port-alpha list ... that was another one with
a really good sense of community. :)