AC-0.9 Testing Results (was: Re: Alpha Core ISO Images)

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Mon Oct 18 14:12:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 09:22:57PM -0500, Arkadiy Chapkis - Arc wrote:

>   No fancy box, I was using it as a server, so I slap a cheap S3
>   Virge in it.

Ah; that's a good thing to know.

I'll try to unearth a Virge here and see if it fails in other boxes
as well.

> The graphics is not a big deal, but what is bothering me is inability to use
> fdisk to partition (if I do that from console 2, I have to way to use that
> partition table). I believe disk druid puts BSD labels by default, but as I'm
> using MILO, I don't want it.

I think you're right about Disk Druid forcing BSD labels.

However, you MAY be able to access fdisk from a different VC before
Disk Druid gets called, and certainly fdisk DOES support creating
DOS-style partition tables. Only problem might be if DD does NOT...

>   As I tried SRM on this box before, it reported my SCSI CDROM 7
>   times. ARC doesn't do this. I know it's not a SCSI ID problem,
>   because I tried setting it to different SCSI IDs with no effect.

If it was SRM that had the problem with the SCSI CD, it may be related
to termination of the SCSI bus. I've never seen that problem here; was
it the original SCSI CD that came with the box? Had you done anything
to add devices to the bus?

But I agree, that would be a "show stopper" for me as well... :-\

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com