KZPEA bios?

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Mon Oct 25 21:56:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 09:06:13AM -0600, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:

> I recently eBayed an Adaptec 39160 scsi card, having read ion Hideki Goto's
> page that it was "close enough" to the KZPEA to be recognized as such by the
> XP1000 and some other newer boxes.
>
> On my XP1000, he one I got is recognized by SRM and AlphaBios as an Adaptec,
> not the KZ.

Recognized as which Adaptec? My XP1000 (SRM v5.8) recognizes the
CPQ-branded 39160 as chipset 7899, and never mentions KZPEA...

> I got my late-model PWS to recognize the card in a 64-bit slot as
> well, but it did not read a brand name off the bios.

How were you accessing that?

> (On an early-model PWS SRM refused to load because of the "illegal
> device" on the bus)

Um, try:

	>>> set pci_device_override -1

> In both cases the "recognition" was in "show config."  The card nor
> the drive attached to it did not show in "show device."

On both XP1000 and the PWS's?

> Under AlphaBios, the device and attached drives did show up and were
> accessible.

Oh, for an XP1000 MILO... ;-}

> The Adaptec came with the 2.57 bios and an "S" code, which Adaptec' manual
> says indicates it was a proprietary card.  I flashed with the 3.10 bios, which
> took out the proprietary code.  This however has not helped things on the XP.

I'm not surprised, as (IIRC) only the latest SRMs on the latest platforms
seem to be capable/enabled to run SCSI BIOSes. Earlier SRM did not depend
on the BIOSes for anything, IIRC.

> Is there a Compaq BIOS for the KZPEA, and if so how can I get it?

AFAIK, there's not a COMPAQ-specific  BIOS for it.

As another data point, I've tried some other Adaptec family members
(29160/29160N, both of which use the 7892 chipset, and 2940U2W), and
none are recognized by SRM.

Sigh...

Sorry, Jon, you may be stuck with booting from the QLogic or IDE... :-\

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com