anyone interested in a digital personal workstation 500au? (location: Leuven, Belgium)

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Wed Jan 7 18:55:01 UTC 2009

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Dries Verachtert <dries at ulyssis.org>
To: "Linux on Alpha processors" <axp-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 14:01:04 +0100
Subject: anyone interested in a digital personal workstation 500au? (location:
Leuven, Belgium)

> Hello,
>
> I've got 2 alpha machines which i'm not using anymore (too big, too
> noisy, too much electricity usage, ..) and i'm wondering if someone
> would like to have these machines?
>
> Important remark:
> They have been switched off for quite some time. For some reason,
>  one of the two doesn't want to boot anymore. It just doesn't do
> anything when you hit the power button. I've no idea why and as far
> as i know, there was nothing wrong with the machine when i stopped
> using it (quite some time ago). Nevertheless the 'broken' machine
> might be handy because it's full of spare parts for the other
> machine or maybe you could combine the ram memory. => i guess it's
> better if both machines go to the same person

Dries, & list:

Older PWS series machines sometimes are cranky starters.  If you plug it in
and leave it for a day or two, it should start right up. If the machine is
noisy, something is wrong with the fan - maybe dust?  All of mine were quieter
than the average PC.  Also power use was no worse than a Pentium III.

RAM for these machines is spectacularly cheap at this time.  6 x 250meg will
set you back maybe US$ 20.

These machines are kind of slow for Linux, but are quite fast with Tru64 Unix
or Windows NT.

Anyway, good on you for trying to keep a few of these machines in use.

jn