good bye

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Wed Jan 7 19:03:58 UTC 2009

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Oliver Falk <oliver at linux-kernel.at>
To: Linux on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>, garich at ptd.net
Sent: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:32:10 +0100
Subject: Re: good bye

> Hi Gary!
>
> Gary Richardson wrote:
> > The Digital Server 5300 was a nice running machine. I bought
> > it new on Ebay after Microsoft decided to can 2000 on alpha.
>
> There's W2K for alpha?

to the list:

Indeed there was Windows 2000 for Alpha.  It was beta release with a built in
expiration.  Someone hacked the registry hive so it wouldn't die after 450
days and put it up on a Dutch ftp site (it's gone now).

It is a pretty good OS and incorporates the FX32! utility so it will run most
32-bit programs directly.  However, a lot of the alpha NT drivers do not work
easily with it. I have heard, for instance that some one got the NT driver for
the Powerstorm 350 video card to work under 2000.  I never could.

Windows 2000 is prettier, but NT 4.0 works better for most situations, IMHO.

jn