Secondary architectures and marketing

Dialup Jon Norstog thursday at allidaho.com
Thu Jan 8 18:52:16 UTC 2009

---------- Original Message -----------
From: "Matt Turner" <mattst88 at gmail.com>
To: "Linux on Alpha processors" <axp-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:44:06 -0500
Subject: Re: Secondary architectures and marketing

> It wouldn't be _hard_ to create a section on the site for Fedora, but
> I'm not sure if that's what we should do.
>
> Assuming you forge ahead with Fedora/Alpha, wouldn't Fedora provide
> you with hosting?
>
> Plus, before I spend time doing anything about a Fedora/Alpha
> website, someone needs to tell me why we need Fedora/Alpha at all.
>
> It seems to be a distraction from bigger problems to me.

Matt, & list:

I have Fedora 9 running on a PC and have had enough experience to find a few
things about it that rile me.  Worst and most prominent is you have to hack
the installation in order to log on as root. You can YUM up the codecs etc. to
play DVDs but they don't work and Fedora, Inc. isn't about to help you fix
that. It is short of the libs you need for Grass and Qgis  GIS, and it hasn't
worked with a source-built Qcad since about FC1. Other things:  changes in KDE
- I like the CDE desktop theme. It's gone.  I like having a different
background for each screen.  That's gone.  I was just getting used to the
Evolution email client.  That's gone.   Rant, rant.  I'm thinking about
switching to Ubuntu on my PC, it is closer to what I like and it is an easy
matter to make the root account available.

I realize a lot of what I am concerned about is trivial.  If I can get good,
solid distro with the libraries I need and no tricks up its sleeve, I can take
care of the small stuff myself.

later

jn