Trying to gauge usage of a possible AlphaLinux.org Forum

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Jan 14 07:41:15 UTC 2009

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Steven Moix <steven.moix at axianet.ch> writes:
>
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 16:24 -0500, Matt Turner wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Among other things, I've been tossing the idea of a Forum for AlphaLinux.org.
>>>
>>> It would provide a central location for Alpha discussion.
>>>
>>> Would you use it?
>>>
>>> Ideas and suggestions requested.
>> As I already told you on IRC, I wouldn't use it for the simple reason
>> that we already have this mailinglist and IRC. Seems like another
>> information dispersion to me. Let's face it, people still interested in
>> Alpha are geeks who know how to use IRC :) Don't you think?
>
> I will not use a web-forum, ever.  I won't stop you setting one up,
> but I will not read it, and certainly not post anything there.  I just
> cannot stand the cumbersome, featureless interfaces of those things.
>
> Mailing lists are perfectly adequate, nicely complemented by the more
> direct, informal medium of IRC.

m/l are fine. Forums also. Both are usually index by major search
engines and therefore if you have a problem and search for it, you'll
find it.

IRC is a geek medium :-) Although I *do* use IRC, I don't think it's
good to discuss *real* problems there. Just because people not online
will never see the thread. :-(

I don't like forums too much, but I know from AlphaCore.info, that -
Matt is right - many people where online there and discussing problems
that we never saw on any m/l (or anything else).

Matt. I think it's a good idea to have forums. I'd also suggest to
create a 'Patches' (or similar) page within the wiki, where we can
upload patches we have. A *COMMON AXP PATCHES STORE* - if you like...

Structure should be something like this:
common-axp-patches
`-- glibc
     `-- 2.9
         `-- ptr_mangling.patch

/me suggests.

Please folks. ALWAYS try to put a comment at the top of your patch. Try
to mention where you got it from, references to m/l or other websites.
Name/mail of you or the one who created the patch. And of course: Try to
mention what this patch should fix. Maybe also the timestamp of CVS
checkout. All kind of information that might help...

-of