Trying to gauge usage of a possible AlphaLinux.org Forum

Marc Schlensog mschlens at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 09:00:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:54:51 -0700
Maurice Hilarius <maurice at harddata.com> wrote:

> Matt Turner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > So it looks like most people who use mailing lists would rather use
> > existing mailing lists than forums. Surprise. :)
> >
> > I wonder how many people I'm not reaching?
> >
> > Maybe the thing to do is to put more emphasis on
> > comp.os.linux.alpha? It can be read as a mailing list and also as a
> > forum (through Google Groups). How would this be?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt
> >

> OK.
> But:
> I am still wondering what we would gain from this??

Try to think out of the box. Once people see it's a Red Hat list, they
might get the impression that the discussion is Red Hat or - at the
most - Fedora related. The incentive to sign up might be pretty low for
people interested in other distros than Fedora.
Same holds true, of course, for other means of communication that /seem/
to favor one particular distro.
The prime objective at the moment should be to get the few
remaining users and developers of Linux/axp (and possibly other Alpha
based Open Source projects) to one place which isn't dependent on one
particular distro.
That's why alphalinux.org is a good starting point, that's why c.o.l.a.
isn't the worst suggestion either.

b.r.,

Marc