Try for the 164...

heviarti at puresimplicity.net heviarti at puresimplicity.net
Tue Aug 24 05:07:00 UTC 2010

    Seeing as the minifridge is pasito 'til I get something to add to it, I decided to make a try at bringing my 500 running at 366 back to life.  It sat in storage for a few years, and I pulled it out of the rack and brought it home along with a disk case full of full-height 5-1/4 9 gigs I had my filesystem strung across. I really need to get some drives bigger than 9 gig.

  Anyway, wouldn't boot... So I pulled everything except the video card. Still nothing. System beeps, Keyboard  lights.... Just no video.  I tried three or four video cards: A Canopus Power Window, the FireGL 3000, an unknown card marked only 'Video118PCI-64DDRTV' and a Number Nine Imagine 128. Still no video... That leaves a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000, an IBM marked S3 Trio64V+, and a 16 meg PCI  Vanta, but I don't think that's gonna change anything.

  I'd try hacking a phone cable and going for the debug port, but every phone cable I have is 4 pin, and they all look to be the hair-thin stranded wire you can't splice. When I got the machine, it refused to boot because the memory bus width jumper was set wrong.  But I had a good MMJ cable then, and the debug port was my savior.

  I did try ^C and still no video.  Anybody got a nasty trick up their sleeve that might work?  It's a PC164 (or an EB, I forget)