Brltty through USB ?

Mario Lang mlang at teleweb.at
Sat Jul 10 09:40:10 UTC 2004

Mike Keithley <mkeithley at pobox.com> writes:

> I'm currently using brltty with a Powerbraille display.  I'm planning to
> get a new laptop and notice that serial ports on laptop seem to be rare
> these days.  Assuming I can find a usb to serial converter, will brltty
> work through the USB port?

Yes, if the converter is supported by the Linux kernel, you will
get a /dev/ttyUSB0 device when you connect it to your laptop.  You simply need
to configure BRLTTY to use this device instead of /dev/ttyS0.

One note of caution however, contrary to the USB displays supported
by BRLTTY natively, you will most likely not be able to disconnect/reconnect
the USB adaptor while BRLTTY is still running.  Make sure the adaptor
is connected before you start BRLTTY, and only disconnect it when the
daemon is already stopped.

--
CYa,
  Mario