[OT] Oracle Portal site redesign...

Mario Lang mlang at teleweb.at
Mon Jul 26 09:58:36 UTC 2004

Hi.

My employer is planning to whipe the currently existing
static webpages completely, and replace our web presence with
a Oracle Portal solution.  I've been told this will
involved heavy javascript usage, and will effectively
render the whole web system inaccessible to me.

I am now looking for good technical arguments why
a well-thought-through and standards-compliant (read WAI WCAG) website
is better than a overdesigned dynamic system with heavy use of javascript
and perhaps even uglier things like flash or ActiveX components.

If you've got any really convincing arguments for me, please
let me know.  I will collect them and try to convince
my boss to change this decision at least in a way which would
make the site more accessible than the current plan implies.

If those plans persist, the currently very nicely
accessible WWW server of the technical university of Graz
(www.tugraz.at) is going to be replaced with a inaccessible version.
This is quite a step backward, sad to hear at a time where
the EU already asked member states three years ago to start
to make their web sites more accessible to people with disabilities.

Please just send good technical arguments.  Philosophical
ones might be reasonable, but are not relevant here.

--
Thanks,
  Mario