Mounting question

Tom Masterson kd7cyu at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 15:51:53 UTC 2011

I have a mount problem.  I have several usb sticks and a usb external hard
drive and am using Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick.  When I mount any of them using
either mount or pmount or allowing them to automount I can't copy anything
to them from the console except as root (sudo to be exact).  Also things
like vmware or virtualbox do not have access to them.  The command I use
is:

Substituting appropriate types and device and directory.  Regardless of
what I have tried the directory always comes up with permissions of
rwxr-xr-x with owner root:root so that only root can write to the drive.

How do I solve this so that I as a user can write to the drive from the
command line?

Tom