Mounting question

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Fri Apr 15 22:00:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Tom Masterson wrote:

> Note that teh combination of uid, gid, and umask work on most drives but I do
> have one exteranl drive that is ext3 that I am still trying to find the
> answer to how to make it writable by either a group or all users other than
> root.

You should be able to deal with this in the filesystem itself.  Just set
file and directory permissions appropriately.

The reason why VFAT is such an issue is that it doesn't support the
concept of the owner of a file, so an owner and group have to be mapped to
it.   The default is whoever mounted the filesystem.

Geoff.