Just an intro.

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Mar 24 09:39:50 UTC 2013

Interesting.  I know VMWare is non-free, so it isn't available in Debian.  I
don't have X on any of my machines, so Orca currently isn't an option.  I
have a Debian unstable and experimental install, but I also get a lot of
errors and couldn't get speech with Gnome, so I gave up on it.  I'll have to
start over with a new install one of these days.  My main desktop doesn't
have hardware virtualization, so Windows would be very slow in a VM.  My
server has KVM and supports hardware virtualization, but I never bothered to
set up a Windows VM because it's primarily a server and I usually don't
access it from the console.  I almost always access it with ssh and I don't
think I could use Windows with speech over an ssh connection.  I definitely
want to spend several days in Gnome learning Orca, Firefox, Thunderbird,
etc.  By the way, there is something you can't do in a Windows VM.  That is
installing BIOS updates.  Almost all of them require Windows to flash your
BIOS firmware.  Obviously, a VM won't work for that.