[dm-devel] dm-mirror.c on 2.5?

Joe Thornber joe at fib011235813.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 02:57:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 04:51:04PM -0800, Daniel McNeil wrote:
> I see that dm-mirror.c and dm-snapshot.c are not in the 2.5 kernel.
> What are the plans for getting these into 2.5?

I hope to submit a snapshot target for 2.5 as an RFC patch to l-k in
the next couple of weeks.  The mirroring target will follow at some
point.  The 2.4 mirror target is very rough ATM, I doubt it even
compiles, it certainly isn't part of my patchsets.

> Also it appears that md/raid1 and dm-mirror provide similar
> functionality.  Are there advantages of one over the other?

We need the mirror target to perform disk remappings (eg, pvmove).
See http://people.sistina.com/~thornber/pvmove_outline.txt

- Joe