[dm-devel] LILO: Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0xfe02

Toon van der Pas toon at hout.vanvergehaald.nl
Wed Nov 19 17:05:02 UTC 2003

Hi Christophe,

I installed the attached files, did a

	'ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge --deep lilo'

and lo and behold: LILO works. Thank you very much!
I want to hug you, kiss you, pay your depts!

In order to get even with you I'll report this to the Gentoo
developers. I hope they will adopt your patch soon in the stable
lilo ebuild.

Did you send this patch to the current maintainer of LILO?

Regards,
Toon.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:13:55PM +0100, Christophe Saout wrote:
> Am Mi, den 19.11.2003 schrieb Toon van der Pas um 19:50:
>
> > I have a problem installing LILO under a 2.6 kernel with LVM2 and DM.
> > Installing LILO under the 2.4 kernel with LVM1 works.
> > This is what I get when I run LILO under the 2.6 kernel:
> >
> > 	# lilo
> > 	Fatal: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0xfe02
> >
> > Here are some details.
> >
> > 	Distro: Gentoo.
>
> LILO doesn't know about device-mapper block devices. I'm maintaining a
> patch that makes lilo use libdevmapper to resolve the mappings (well,
> the linear ones). The patches can be found on http://www.saout.de/misc/
>
> Since you are a lucky gentoo user :), you can copy the attached ebuild
> file to /usr/portage/sys-apps/lilo/ and the corresponding digest file to
> /usr/portage/sys-apps/lilo/files/, overwriting the old files and
> re-emerge lilo (assuming you want to use the latest version
> lilo-22.5.8-r1).
>
> Perhaps someone can let the gentoo people know about the availability of
> this patch, I'm sure someone can come up with an ebuild file that sets
> the define depending on the availability of libdevmapper or something.
>
> --
> Christophe Saout <christophe at saout.de>
> See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

[... attachments left out for obvious reasons (bandwith) ...]