[dm-devel] Re: raid10 ... (was: Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 1.7.0)

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Sat Aug 14 14:18:09 UTC 2004

> Am i dreaming (it's well over 4am here :) ? Or is something like this
> possible? Maybe not with a md personality, but by some daemon that would be
> taking care of a dm map?

such things are available commercially; I can't say how well they work.
personally, I doubt that this kind of thing can be done well at a purely
block level - I think that some file-level information would be beneficial,
perhaps essential.  but this is a layering-violating idea, and seems to
rub a lot of people the wrong way.  on the other hand, there is a seperate
movement towards "object storage" systems, which is certainly a related idea.

regards, mark hahn.