[dm-devel] multipath boot fc3

IVANYI Ivan ivan.ivanyi at isb-sib.ch
Wed Dec 1 14:59:57 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've setup a machine running Fedora Core 3 (kernel 2.6.9 vanilla + patches) that
boots off a SAN...

I've got 3 volumes: 1 for /boot, swap and / ... and 2 others...

When I run the multipath daemon things are set up correctly for the 2 other
volumes and I end up with /dev/globalone and /dev/globaltwo and then running
kpartx sets up the partitions.

So things seem to be working in that respect.

for the system volume I get (I assume this is where the error comes from) in syslog:

device-mapper: : dm-multipath: error getting device
device-mapper: error adding target to table

and of course no /dev/systemboot  device

Can I assume that this problem will go away if I can run the multpath/kpartx
stuff at boot?

And if so how can I setup an initrd correctly?

I've created an initrd with the correct binaries etc... and pretty much followed
the debian setup example (although maybe I missed something ?!) anyone using a
similar config?

Also a suggestion for a chkconfig line for /etc/init.d/multipathd ?

Thanks for any help...