[dm-devel] Problem extending an "lv" with an active Snapshot

Christophe Saout christophe at saout.de
Wed Feb 18 18:45:01 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 19.02.2004 schrieb Christian Robert um 00:31:

> Problem extending an "lv" with an active Snapshot

Oh. Interesting. I've never thought about that. The exception
store has to know how big the snapshot is. If you enlarge your
LV it should stay, if you shrink it the lost data should be
copied to the snapshot. Ouch. I never looked at that code...

>   Couldn't load device 'vg01-Stest'.
>   Problem reactivating test
>
> At this point the system is in strange state, trying to unmount /mnt
> will lock the "umount" process. Even reboot don't work.

Yes, LVM will just bail out and leave suspended devices around. You can
either try to reboot or fix it up by hand using dmsetup to copy the
dm devices, vgcfgbackup, remove the snapshot from the metadata and
vgcfgresume. Fun. :D