[dm-devel] [ANNOUCE] kpartx-0.0.2

christophe varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Tue Jan 27 00:00:02 UTC 2004

Hello,

here is the second release of kpartx : the shameless perversion of
util-linux's partx.
As before it :
1) compiles against klibc
2) read partitions table like partx
3) drives the device mapper to  present the partitions bdevs

Find it at http://dsit.free.fr/kpartx-0.0.2.tar.bz2

This release adds a interesting functionality : it can now read
partitions tables from regular files, automagically assign a loop device
(like the mount cmd), and map  devmaps from here.

Example : here, /tmp/test is a dump of an USB key

root at zezette../kpartx-0.0.2$ ./kpartx -a -v /tmp/test
last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 81a4
gpt: 0 slices
dos: 6 slices
reduced size of partition #2 to 32
Added loop0p1 : 0 15968 /dev/loop0 32
Added loop0p2 : 0 32 /dev/loop0 16000
Added loop0p5 : 0 6432 /dev/loop0 16032
Added loop0p6 : 0 9504 /dev/loop0 22496

root at zezette../kpartx-0.0.2$ ./kpartx -d -v /tmp/test
last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 81a4
gpt: 0 slices
dos: 6 slices
loop found : /dev/loop0
Deleted device map : loop0p1
Deleted device map : loop0p2
Deleted device map : loop0p5
Deleted device map : loop0p6
loop deleted : /dev/loop0

I heard there was some work to make the loop kernel driver partitionable ...
Is it still worth it ?

Is there interest in this tool, or ideas ? If there is, how to keep the
ball rolling ?

regards,
cvaroqui