[dm-devel] scsi_id output & multipath

Patrick Mansfield patmans at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 20 14:54:23 UTC 2004

Christophe -

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 02:48:10PM +0200, christophe.varoqui at free.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the multipath config tool names the devmaps after the uid fetch by scsi_id.
> When such uid is a wwid, everything is well. But when this uid is a composite
> aggregate of diverse info, like with JBODs or direct attached SCSI disks, the
> spaces between uid components are problematic.
>
> devmap creation should be ok with these spaces, but common usage will be
> compromised (ie mount "/dev/SSEAGATE ST336607LC     3JA7LHRB00007441H8FQ" /mnt)
>
> do you consider packing scsi_id output, or should I do this myself ?

Don't pack it, as that could cause problems (unlikely but possible name
collisions), just substitute underlines for spaces, either in your
multipath program, or better send a patch for scsi_id.

It is in my TODO, though I haven't worked on it at all. SUSE naming has a
similiar problem.

-- Patrick Mansfield