[dm-devel] Device mapper error ioctl cmd 9. What is this?

Nathan Richardson nathan.richardson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 20:45:41 UTC 2004

Newbie-be gentle.

I'm trying to set up a very simple LVM logical volume and get the
following (verbose) output from lvcreate:

    Creating logical volume video_lg
    Archiving volume group "video_vg" metadata.
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/video_vg"
    Found volume group "video_vg"
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
  Couldn't load device 'video_vg-video_lg'.
  Failed to activate new LV.

All LVM utils also seem to scan all my drives, even if I don't have
them (for example, /dev/hda6 gets listed even though I only have 5
partitions).

Anyway, this seems like a device-mapper issue rather than an LVM one,
but I can't tell for sure.

I'm running Fedora core 1 with a standard 2.6.7 kernel. I have LVM2
and version 1.00.19 of the DM userspace tools.

I have no problems creating the volume group, and even after the
lvcreate seems to fail, I have an entry for the LV/VG in /dev/mapper/.
I never get the entry in /dev that I apparently need for the lvcreate
to complete and to be able to actually mount the LV.

Sorry if this is unclear - if more info is needed, let me know. Any
help is appreciated. If I need to ask this question in the LVM mailing
list, let me know, though any help making my question more
specific/accurate would be helpful in that case.

Thanks,
Nathan Richardson