[dm-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] multipath-tools-0.3.4

christophe varoqui free fr wrote:
Selon Arjan van de Ven <arjan infradead org>:

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 00:14 +0200, christophe varoqui wrote:

	* multipath & multipathd now use the same path checkers.
	  Consequence being multipath now need sg loaded

why sg and not using SG_IO on the actual devices ? mp-tools are 2.6 only anyway, right ?

Glad you notice :)

In fact all the sg stuff I use is done with the SG_IO ioctl (see
libcheckers/*.c)
But somehow, it doesn't work as expected. I don't remember how exactly it failed
in my tests but it did ... I remembered receiving bad path status and
experiencing blocked checkers.

I would really like someone experienced put his nose in this stuff. If you want,
I can code up a flag to switch the mp-tools ioctl submission between blockdev
and sgdev.

Note you don't need to have real multipathed hardware to run and test the thing
: parallel SCSI hw suffice and is seen as monopath.

A significant patch from Patrick Mansfield concerning the error reporting of the block layer SG_IO ioctl is present in lk 2.6.10-rc1 . It was not present in lk 2.6.9 and earlier.

Doug Gilbert