[dm-devel] Re: [klibc] initrd / initramfs future

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Sep 15 20:03:58 UTC 2004

Olaf Hering wrote:
>  On Tue, Sep 14, christophe varoqui wrote:
>

>>Putting it this way, it seems the initrd is the right place for stuff
>>like lvm2, multipath, mdadm ... but I'd like to be sure before dropping
>>the provisional klibc support in the tools.
>

> I would like to see a way to construct a general purpose initramfs image
> that fits everyones need. It should also be part of the normal kernel
> build process.

"Everyone's" need is extremely broad.

> Whats really missing right now:
> * UUID and LABEL detection in klibc mount, libblkid and libuuid from
>   e2fsprogs should be part of klibc mount
> * all the root on raid, lvm, evms should be sorted out. you are the one
>   who can implement it.
> * fsck for jfs, its probably the only root filesystem that requires
>   manual fsck
>
> All this requires glibc right now in our initramfs image. Once we have
> klibc support for all the common root filesystem stuff, it can be part
> of kbuild in one or another way.
>
> The whole topic will give a larger thread than reiserfs, bk and cdrecord
> together. So I will better shut up now and implement it, one day...

LOL :)  At the moment (when I'm not chasing the *)#&)&*%! elusive RAID-6
bug or staring at Verilog or hardware specs) I'm still trying to push
for the kernel integration and migration aspect of klibc, which is a bit
different than what you're doing above.  I definitely agree it's a good
thing, though.

	-hpa