[dm-devel] RE: regarding DM device for a single path.

Reilly, Stephen (MRO) Steve.Reilly at hp.com
Thu Aug 4 18:43:19 UTC 2005

Did anyone respond to this...

________________________________

From: Murthy, Narasimha Doraswamy (STSD)
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:21 AM
To: Alasdair G Kergon
Cc: device-mapper development; Reilly, Stephen (MRO)
Subject: regarding DM device for a single path.

Hi Alasdair,

Kindly clarify on the following,

1.	I tested your latest user space tools with 2.6.9-11.41 kernel.
Used the default created devices for multipathing. The path status is
getting updated appropriately for HSV200 arrays.  However the failback
functionality is not working for me. I have configure value for
"failback" variable in /etc/multipath.conf as zero for immediate
failback, but when the failed path in the original path group comes back
online, the IO is not failed back the old pathgroup.

2.	In yesterday's discussion, you mentioned that DM device nodes
will not be created for the physical devices which are having single
path.  Assuming one particular device had 2 paths and DM device was
created and used by the applications. While the system is rebooted for
some reasons, and if one of the paths for this device is lost, then the
subsequent reboot will not create the DM device as it sees only one path
for this device. And the DM device might be created only if the other
path comes back online and the HBA driver is rescanned for new devices.
This may not be desired multipathing behaviour, as the DM device does
not exist if we one path for the device.

Thanks and regards

-Murthy