Re: [dm-devel] Re: fibre channel/multipath questions

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 07:01, christophe varoqui wrote:
> On lun, 2005-08-29 at 18:23 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > I think you can setup dm-multipath based on WWNs, so the device
> > numbers don't matter.  Cc'ed the dm-devel list to verify my assumption.
>
> Yes, true for the multipathed devices, which leaves the problem intact
> for the local drives ...

There is no problem with multipath recognising different devices. Nor is there
a problem with raid devices.
at boot these are all recognised, if they change, no problem at all...
situation we have:
local disks in raid1 (i'd prefer sda + sdb)
san disks are multipath (sdc and on...)
problem is: lilo.conf... i say: [r|b]oot=/dev/md0
raid-extra-boot="/dev/sda, /dev/sdb"

the last rule poses the problem. depending on how many multipath devices i
have, i constantly have to change lilo.conf for every machine.

in bsd, there is a way to set your drives to a fixed name, is there something
alike in linux? or a sollution to this problem? (i'm definately willing to
help find one, if there isn't... and i guess i'm not the only one with this
problem?)

thanks in advance all! (and sorry for the spamming)

--
harry
aka Rik Bobbaers

K.U.Leuven - LUDIT          -=- Tel: +32 485 52 71 50
Rik Bobbaers cc kuleuven be -=- http://harry.ulyssis.org

Disclaimer:
By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you are agreeing that:
  1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient"
  2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself to.
In particular, I may quote it on usenet.
  3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
  4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may be
included on your message.