[dm-devel] Experiences with multipath-tools and EMC CLARiiON

Christophe Varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Thu Feb 10 09:11:59 UTC 2005

Tore Anderson wrote:

>  Host-based failover doesn't seem to work, or at least I cannot figure
> out how to do it.  "sg_start -s /dev/sdb 1" gives me this:
>
>  sync_cache: SCSI status: Check Condition
>   Fixed format, current;  Sense key: Not Ready
>   Additional sense: Logical unit not ready, manual intervention required
>
>  I guess the "tresspass" command is a proprietary thing and what is
> needed is just a userspace utility that is able to send the same thing
> down the fibre as the dm-emc kernel module is.

Yes, "sg_start -s /dev/sdb 1" is not an adequate mean to force a
host-driven failover for the clariion hardware. You need the trespass
tool included in recent sg3_utils package.

For the rest, I guess Lars will be able to give you more feedback.

>  Cristophe:  Should I make a summary of this email and add it to your
> TestedEnvironments page?  I'm not sure if I could've made it work by
> configuring multipathd in another way (for instance the numbers on the
> hardware_handler line I just found in some mailing list archive, I have
> no idea what they mean) - so I'm a bit afraid of ending up updating it
> with flat-out incorrect information.

We'll do that as soon as Lars has helped you refining your config.

Regards,
cvaroqui