[dm-devel] md_component_detection = 1

Christophe Varoqui christophe.varoqui at free.fr
Tue Feb 15 21:20:19 UTC 2005

All I can comment is LVM over the multipath implementation from
Alasdair, RedHat.

For that, you need to set in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf :

    scan = [ "/dev", "/dev/mapper" ]  (you may or may not need this one,
depending on your distro)
    filter = [ "r/sd.*/", "a/.*/" ]
    types = [ "device-mapper", 254 ]

Here the 254 may vary depending on your setup. To find out for your
case, do :

[root at cl039 root]# grep mapper /proc/devices
254 device-mapper

Then everything should work as expected :

[root at cl039 root]# multipath -l -v2
red (3600a0b80000b596a000003113d9c5381)
[size=33 GB][features="0"][hwhandler="0"]
\_ round-robin 0 [enabled][first]
  \_ 4:0:3:9 sdan 66:112  [ready ][active]
  \_ 5:0:1:9 sdbh 67:176  [ready ][active]
\_ round-robin 0 [enabled]
  \_ 5:0:3:9 sdcb 68:240  [ready ][active]
  \_ 4:0:1:9 sdt  65:48   [ready ][active]

[root at cl039 root]# pvcreate /dev/mapper/red
  Physical volume "/dev/mapper/red" successfully created

[root at cl039 root]# pvscan
  PV /dev/mapper/red         lvm2 [33.86 GB]
  Total: 1 [33.86 GB] / in use: 0 [0   ] / in no VG: 1 [33.86 GB]

That's the more precise info I can share onn the subject.
Now your on your own.

Regards,
cvaroqui