[dm-devel] dm-mon fails to load raid1 target

Kevin Corry kevcorry at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 31 13:47:10 UTC 2005

On Sunday 30 January 2005 11:20 am, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> Hi
>
> I can't get dm_mon to load the raid1 target.

Do you mean "dm_mod", which is the core of the DM driver?

> The syslog says (timestamps removed):
> livecd device-mapper: : unknown target type
> livecd
> livecd device-mapper: error adding target to table

This means a user-space program tried to load a device-table for a target-type
that doesn't exist or couldn't be loaded.

> Seems that there's a completely blank syslog message (reproducible),
> and a surplus colon in the first message.  Might be related to the
> dmraid tool.  Anyway.
>
> I'm booting with a Gentoo CD [gen2dmraid 0.99 - kernel: 2.6.9, driver
> 4.1.0, library 1.00.17-ioctl].
>
> The /lib/modules/.../raid1.ko file is present.

That is the module for MD/Software-RAID RAID-1, not the Device-Mapper
mirroring module. They are completely different drivers that just happen to
be in the same directory in the kernel source and module trees.

> I tried modprobe raid1 (fine), this didn't add the mirror target to
> "dmsetup targets".
> Tried unloading dm-mon, reloading raid1, loading dm-mon, still no mirror
> target.
>
> Any hints on what is going wrong / what I am doing wrong?

The Device-Mapper mirroring target is called "dm-mirror". Check your kernel
configuration and make sure you have CONFIG_DM_MIRROR set to "y" or "m". If
necessary, you may need to rebuild your kernel to enable it. Once it's
enabled, run "dmsetup targets" and look for a "mirror" entry. If you've
compiled DM mirroring as a module, try "modprobe dm-mirror", and then run
"dmsetup targets" again.

--
Kevin Corry
kevcorry at us.ibm.com