[dm-devel] Path status updation on HP arrays.

Murthy, Narasimha Doraswamy (STSD) narasimha.murthy at hp.com
Fri Jul 8 13:25:43 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am seeing path updation issues with multipath tools versions 0.4.4 and
0.4.5, when tested with EVA HSV 200, MSA and XP (Active Active arrays)
on RHEL U1.

Failover works fine and fails to the other path in the path group, but
when the failed path comes back online,  the status of this path is
[ready][failed]. This doesn't change unless "multipath" is executed
manually from the command prompt.

Some of the unique observations seen are:

In MSA, when failed path comes back online, this path and currently
active path goes to [ready][failed] state.

In EVA HSV 200, where the path groups are created using
"group_by_serial" policy,

If IO is pumped on a dm device, a path is failed and when the failed
path in a particular path group (each path group having 2 paths to 2
ports of the controller) comes back online, the status on these paths in
that path group is going to [ready][failed],  then the IO starts
continuing on the other path group.

Any pointers for this would be really helpful.  I would like to know if
this kind of behaviour (partially or fully) is seen in any other storage
systems?

In general when a path can go to [ready][failed] state?

Thanks and regards

-Murthy