[dm-devel] Device-mapper Question

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 20:10:06 UTC 2005

A note I saw from Stephen Tweedie on the same subject:

"man 5 exports:

        fsid=num
               This  option forces the filesystem identification portion
of the
               file handle and file attributes used  on  the  wire  to
be  num
               instead  of  a number derived from the major and minor
number of
               the block device on which the filesystem is mounted.  Any
32 bit
               number  can  be  used,  but  it  must  be unique amongst
all the
               exported filesystems.

               This can be useful for NFS failover, to ensure that both
servers
               of  the  failover  pair  use  the  same NFS file handles
for the
               shared  filesystem  thus  avoiding  stale  file  handles
  after
               failover.

That should work for this case, and will make the file handle completely
independent of any device driver enumeration effects.  However, I
suspect it can lead to odd failure modes if the underlying filesystem
failed to get mounted and you end up exporting a subtree of some other
filesystem with the wrong fsid."

That being said, I believe there is information on keeping a specific
minor number for volumes in the man pages for lvcreate and lvchange...

  brassow