[dm-devel] multipath deadlock

goggin, edward egoggin at emc.com
Tue Mar 8 22:05:28 UTC 2005

Looks to be deadlock potential between two processes and the lock
ordering of a mapped device inode's __I_LOCK state bit and the
mapped device's r/w semaphore lock.  I think the potential for such
deadlock exists anytime the dm.c code calls bdget_disk() or bdget()
in order to lock the block device inode of the mapped device for which
it already has __exclusive__ write ownership of the r/w semaphore.  This
deadlock potential exists due to the fact that the page writeback code
can call dm_request() to acquire the mapped device's lock for reading
while owning the mapped device's __I_LOCK state bit.

This appears to happen in the call to __unlock_fs() from dm_suspend() and
in the call to __set_size() from __bind() from dm_swap_table() in dm.c.
It is not clear why dm_suspend() acquires the mapped device's lock for
reading while calling __lock_fs() yet acquires the same lock for writing
while calling __unlock_fs().

I've got an actual deadlock between multipath(8) trying to swap in a new
table and a dd(1) performing page writeback.

Multipath owns the multipath mapped device r/w semaphore lock for writing
obtained in dm_swap_table() and is blocked trying to obtain the __I_LOCK
inode state bit for the mapped device in __set_size() called from __bind()
while
trying to set the inode size of the mapped device as part of binding a new
mapping table to the device.

The dd(1) owns the __I_LOCK state bit of the mapped device's inode from
__sync_single_inode() as part of page writeback and is trying to submit
an i/o to the mapped device but is blocked in dm_request() trying to obtain
the lock r/w semaphore of the mapped device for reading.

No